Monday 29 August 2011

Listen: Wild Flag - Wild Flag


I write this sat in bed, recovering from the carnage that was Reading Festival at the weekend. I swore I'd never go back, but seven years is a long time away & a free ticket was way too tempting to pass up. I feel like I've been smacked in the head with a welly boot for three days straight.

My saviour in this horrible little hungover rut I've got myself into today is WILD FLAG. After months of waiting for a full album, it has arrived, and we are not worthy. I know they don't want to be called a super group, but this record is proof that the tag is well deserved. Very different from anything Sleater-Kinney produced, but bold, showing off both their technical talent and creative energy and resulting in a fiery garage rock record that channels some Patti Smith (I know they cover 'Ask The Angels', but the are definate parallels in Carrie's commanding, jumpy vocals). It's the debut I think everyone had been hoping for; this is what the new era of guitar music should sound like.


Click HERE to stream at NPR


Wild Flag - Romance by MergeRecords

No comments:

Post a Comment